Thursday, July 26, 2007

Cleaning :-)

So, lately I've been on this kick to get rid of all the hazardous chemicals in my house. I read somewhere that there was a study showing that stay-at-home women had a 50% higher cancer rate than those who worked full time and the study attributed that fact to being around and using household cleaners all the time. So, I did some research to find out how to make a lot of my own stuff (after I read on our bottle taht said "kitchen cleaner" that it should not be used in food preparation areas!). I found there are recipes out there to easily make your own laundry detergent, kitchen cleaner, dishwasher detergent, floor cleaner. So, I had the chore of floor mopping this week and I tried one out. I went with a simple recipe: 1-2 tsps of Johnson's baby shampoo to 1 gallon of hot water.

Here is my finished floor, it came out great: shiny and clean and not sticky at all (like the lysol cleaner often leaves it)
For many of the recipes I needed some materials I didn't have on hand: washing soda, borax, and fels naptha bar (specifically for laundry detergent). Here's what I got, I'll let you know it goes when I make and use the laundry detergent.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Bravo! We'll definitely follow your lead on these things. It's scary how we take these items for granted or brush off our lack of knowledge of the chemicals around us out of convenience. But your article goes to show that some things can be done safely with no hit to convenience. I can put baby shampoo in my mop bucket at exactly the same rate as floor cleaner.