That was over 2 months ago. I lost 8-9 lbs in the first month and have stayed at that since; so that was pretty cool. I've actually learned a lot of new cooking skills, especially ways to make veggies tast good. And, I've actually lowered my trigycerides and cholesterol significantly.
Anyway, that's just the background for this post. Since I've been thinking a lot more about eating foods in their natural state, I've been thinking about what's in food and where it comes from. Also, my recent gardening has prompted me to think about maybe growing some of my own stuff (although I've failed in that area in the past as well). And I'm starting to become a proponent of anything local and non-corporate.
So, today, Austin and I went to the library and got some books out that have already started to fascinate me. Here are the four we've checked out:
Plenty: One man, One woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally.
This book is also known as the 100 mile-diet. I've gotten about 50 pages into it and already want to give it a try. The 100 mile-diet means eating only items that are grown or raised within 100 miles of where you live. It sounds awefully difficult, but so fascinating and fun. We've been talking for a while about buying a whole pig or cow from a local farm, getting it butchered (yes, mom and dad I know we could do this ourselves, but it so much easier this way), and keeping the various cuts in a chest freezer until we eat it all up.2nd book: Solar Gardening: Growing Vegetables Year-Round the American Intensive Way.
This book may just help my green-thumb develop. There detailed instructions on many things, and we are planning on building a little green-house in the back of our house off the door to the basement.3rd book: City Gardening: Planting, Maintaining, and Designing the Urban Garden (no picture online). This one's pretty self- explanatory.
4th book: Good House, Cheap House
This one Austin picked out, since he's always interested in how to build from scratch a super energy efficiant house someday that's super small. This was partially inspired by a Lawrence company: http://www.powerhouse-enterprises.com/The weather here has been totally awesome so we spent the day at some local gardens reading outside, and planning out when and how we may be able to put our new ideas into practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment