Thursday, May 01, 2008

Free Money

The time is coming soon where we each get $600 from the government ($1200 for me and austin)...I don't really get it, but anyway...

I read a really interesting blog post on consumerism that prompted me thinking...

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/anderkoo/2008/04/29/the-gratitude-economy/

What will I spend my check on? Although I am inspired by the authors pledge to give the money to charity, I'm not sure I'm that noble. Some housemates of mine have said they will spend theirs on the local economy only by spending it at small local businesses. I thought this was a great idea, but not really sure what I could buy from a local small business. Then again, I may just spend it on starting my own local, small business, but that's another story.

Or, since I've been thinking about buying local food lately but have struggled with the expensiveness of it, maybe I could use it for the following which could move us toward the 100 mile diet (we are inheriting a chest freezer which will help make this possible):

1 CSA veggie share, 1 fruit share: $360 + $100 (http://www.groundworklawrence.org/English%20Docs%20no%20work%20trade.pdf)

1 CSA winter share: $225 (http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M12580)

1/2 pig (butchered of course): $2.40/lb based upon hanging weight plus the slaughter house processing fees, Slaughter Fees: $12.50 per half, .30 per pound for cutting and packaging (based upon hanging weight) .07 per pound for disposal (based upon 50% of hanging weight) and any smoking and bacon slicing charges (typically around $20.00 for half a hog). = (2.4 +.3 +.07 )/lb x 80 lbs +12.50 + 20 = $254. 10 (http://winrosefarm.com/pigs.htm)

weekly fresh eggs: $4.50/dozen x 52 weeks = $234 (http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M20068)

several chickens: $12/chicken (4-5 lbs) x ?15 chickens = $180

Several bags of dried beans: ?$100 (http://www.meadowsmirth.com/index.html)

1 bag local flour: from Upingill Farm, in Gill, MA: ?$50

Total: $1278.10

Ok, so I'll have to spend $78 of my own money, but that's not too bad...

I still have to find some local cheeses and a local milk supplier, but it's a start :-)

What will you spend your $1200 on???

***update*** well, we ended up spending our money on starting our own small business, we'll have to buy the food next year :-)

2 comments:

Kimberly Pye said...

Aw, poor Austin! You spent his, too!

We're paying our taxes with it! Woohoo!

Missy said...

Paying taxes with free government money...haha...how ironic