Monday, January 12, 2009

Cooking in Season: Baked Potatoes

I just couldn't help but make some baked potatoes this week since we got a 50# bag of potatoes from Maine (in a local farm store) for $12. Part of the great part about cooking in season is that things are usually very affordable! So here's my meal this Monday:

Baked Potatoes with yummy toppings:

Ingredients:
-1 medium/large potato per person
-sour cream
-chives or green onions
-cheddar cheese
-Ingredients for chili to top potatoes:
-2 cans kidney beans
-1 lb ground beef from Twist of fate farm
-2 cans diced tomatoes (I would have used my frozen ones, but I've used them all up already!)
-chili seasoning mix
-1 small onion

Directions:
Bake Potatoes in oven: I covered them in foil and baked at 375 for 1hr 20 min. Make chili: saute the onion, add ground beef until browned, add chili seasoning, beans, and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes or more. When potatoes are done, cut open on a plate and cover with all your favorite toppings.

...total cost for feeding 6 adults and one preschooler: $13.10 or $1.87 per person (potats $1.50, sour cream $2, beef $4, beans $1, tomatoes $1.50, onion $.10, green onions $1, cheese $2)

No comments: