Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Cooking in Season

I've been reading a lot about food lately (is it obvious from my posts?) and I've decided to make a concentrated effort to eat more locally and in season (for the sake of the economy, local farmers, my carbon footprint, my health, and cause it's just plain fun). So, I bought an AWESOME cookbook to help me out...it's called "Simply in Season" which is a book comissioned by the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) to promote the understanding of how the food choices we make affect our lives and the lives of those who produce food. MCC also created the "More-with-Less" cookbook which you may have heard of. I am really enjoying this cookbook for the recipies are simple and yet really yummy.

So, since it is very obviously winter here in Massachusetts, I'm trying to cook with the suggested items of: apples, beets, cabbage, carrots, citrus, parsnips, potatoes, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, and turnips. We also still have a lot of winter squash.

So far in the local spirit I've made butternut squash soup, leg of lamb (from a local farm) with cabbage, whole chicken, roasted root vegetables, and guiness pie with beef and root veggies. To help me remember what I've made, I'm going to start posting recipies to my blog...please feel free to share your favorite seasonal recipies with me as well!

No comments: